Saturday, November 10, 2012

Farewell Phokeng and South Africa

It's official I COSed (Closed My Service) on November 6th. I am officially a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (x2).  Whew hew.  The first time I did Peace Corps, family and friends didn't think I would be able to survive the 27 months (actually there were many points when I didn't as well). Upon arrival in Benin, volunteers already serving in country thought I would ET (Early Termination of Service ou bien quit). And I was thought of as a Peace Corps Princess.  Reflecting on that makes completing another "tour" even that much sweeter!!!!   

My last couple weeks in Phokeng were emotionally overwhelmingly.  I don't think I realized how connected I had become to the community in 9 months.  It was really hard to say goodbye, especially since I felt I had just gotten accustomed to life in Phokeng, just made friends etc.   Plus, I was humbled by the appreciation that my youth group clubs and co-workers displayed for me as they said farewell. 

I will fully reflect more on this experience later, but my time in Phokeng and with Special Olympics will always be one of the most meaningful and memorable moments in my life.  It was nothing that I imagined it would be, but everything I needed. And I have absolutely positively no regrets about taking a "career break" (despite my student loan debt growing faster and faster by the day, lol).

Below are some pics from my last days in Phokeng and South Africa. Sharing the video and the first photo to partially explain why I have no regrets.

Ciao
-Mei


Farewell card from the Thethe SOGII
Had my SOGII youth club members make dream boards in our last meetings
A final pose with the Charora HS SOGII members
Thethe SOGII surprised me a going away party with cake, cold drink, juice, and cards
Final pose with my Thethe SOGII members
Saying goodbye to my RBS and random Phokeng friends
We had meat (wings, beef, and sausage)
The ladies of Kutlwanong made salad and chakalaka to accompany the meat
Yum chakalaka
Saying goodbye to Thami, my "adopted" mentee
Saying goodbye to my Phokeng folks
Special Olympics braiied (or BBQed) at the office for my farewell party
and there were cool decorations and masks
Special Olympics Africa and Special Olympics South Africa co-workers
My boss
Special Olympics Africa and Special Olympics South Africa co-workers sharing funny moments from the Africa Unity Cup
Putting on my gifts as I opened them


No comments:

Post a Comment