Monday, June 11, 2012

Don’t Worry I Don’t Understand You Either…

Here is a conversation I had with a “co-worker” the other day.
  • Me: I have to go now. I need to go mail something to my mom.
  • Co-worker: You never mention your family.  How often do you talk to your family?
  • Me: (In my head thinking I don’t talk to you that often and we only have superficial conversations) Once a week.  Depending on their schedules, every other week.
  • Co-worker: REALLY!  I speak to my four sisters, my brother, and my parents every day on What’s up, Mixit, (a social media app) or BBM.
  • Me: (In my head thinking you also live with your parents and one of your sisters) About what?
  • Co-worker: Everything. If my brother cuts himself he will contact me and let me know.
  • Me: Oh (shrugs), well I wouldn’t talk to my family that much if I was home either.
  • Co-worker: OK.  Now I understand why you ran away from home!

OK.  I get it.  I came all of the way from America to live in Phokeng (this statement is always followed with a lot of laughter)!!!  I’m an American living in a “village” (more laughter).  It makes no sense.  You don’t understand how I could leave my home and live in another country for an extended amount of time.  You don’t even want to live in another province for an extended period of time.  You don’t get the volunteering thing.  You don’t get the I don’t have a car thing, the taking taxi thing, or the walking thing (I don’t understand how else I could get around without a car).  And you really don’t get the being ok with living alone thing.  And you SO don’t understand the not having a boyfriend or kids thing. Got it!!!  Sharp, Sharp!!!  (Actually there are Americans that don't get some of these things as well!)

Sorry I can’t explain pursuing my dreams and passions in a way that you will understand.  I can’t make you understand the benefits of living in another culture the personal growth from traveling the world.  But don’t worry there are tons of things I don’t understand about you.  Like….
  • I know its winter, but its also high 70° - 80°during the day (well it was at the beginning of the winter).  Why do you have on leather pants?
  • If you call them house shoes (slippers), why do you insist on wearing them out of the house like they are real shoes? (to me this is the equivalent of Philly chicks sporting silk bonnets and NY/NJ chicks rocking dubees)
  • A full head of weave flowing down your 2 year old’s back, really???
  • Better yet mother daughter matching weaves????
  • Why do you insist on riding 14 people deep in a van in 70°+ weather with all of the windows up? And why every time I crack a window do people look at me like I committed a mortal sin and make me close it?
  • Your West African sisters use a piece of material to tie a baby to their backs don’t you think this is a better solution than a bath towel?
  • What’s so confusing about a yes/no question?  Why do I always feel like I am in the Abbott and Costello “Who’s on First” Comedy Skit when I ask a simple yes/no question?
  • Why make sandwiches out of shredded cheese and shredded French pologna (similar to bologna)?  Wouldn’t it make more sense to slice the meat and cheese so everything doesn’t fall out as soon as you take a bite?
  • While we are talking about food, what's up with eating a half of loaf of bread with or as every meal?
  • To my Afrikaans brethren, do you really think it’s copasetic to walk around in the mall, parking lots, public restroom, grocery stores, and well everywhere and anywhere barefoot?
  • Also, my dear Afrikaans while I am talking to you can you please explain the on the mouth kisses to say hello.  The other day I saw a teenage girl kiss her father on the mouth and then while she hugged him around his waist, he patted her on the butt???  Kind of weirded me out.

If you can shed any light on these questions, feel free.  Or if you have any questions for the folks some place you have traveled to I would love to hear.

--Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment