Monday, February 20, 2012

I live in South Africa (and I think I am a Peace Corps Volunteer)

I have been in South Africa for almost two weeks and am settled into my temporary Jo'burg life.  To catch you up on what I have been up to for the last two weeks (warning in advance this is going to be a bit long so I can include pics as everyone has requested)...

I flew from Atlanta to Jo'burg with two other Response Volunteers, Joy (Kenya 77-79) and Lorena (Togo 09-11).  Vele, a Peace Corps driver, met us at the airport and took us to Pretoria.  We stayed in 
Me, Joy, Vele, and Lorena at the OR Tambo International Airport
Pretoria (where Peace Corps South Africa is headquartered) for three days of Peace Corps training.  We immediately knew this experience was going to be different from our previous services based on our accommodations during training.  As Lorena stated, "this isn't Togo!"  ROTFL.  We stayed at the Rose 
Rose Guesthouse Backyard (yes that's a pool!)

Front View of the Rose Guesthouse
Guesthouse, a B&B in the Brooklyn area of Pretoria.

South Africa is the medical hub for Peace Corps in Africa. So if you are serving in Africa and are Medically Evacuated (you have a medical problem that can't be taken care of in your host country) you are sent to South Africa.  The Rose Guesthouse is where Medically Evacuated volunteers stay.  So we had the opportunity to meet volunteers serving in other parts of Africa during our stay there.
Enjoying Breakfast with Other Volunteers
Swear-in
With John Jacoby (Peace Corps South Africa Country Director) After Swear-in
We swore in after three days of "training" that provided us an overview of the culture and coached us on how to stay safe and healthy.  I then left Pretoria and headed to Jo'burg for three weeks of orientation with the Special Olympics.  

The outside of my Randburg "Cottage" (see the chickens)

The Living Room (I only watch 1 channel on the TV)
The Kitchen (and yes that's a microwave and the shower even has steaming hot water!!!!)

The bedroom (the decor creeps me out a bit, lol)

I have two beds so I use the other as a "dresser"

I think this chair is especially creepy :0)

So...I am now living in the Randburg area of Jo'burg in a B&B that provides temporary housing. It's conveniently located behind a shopping center with a nice grocery store (Checkers), a KFC, a Sushi restaurant, a dry cleaners, a nail salon, a hair salon, and some other shops.  

View of the Special Olympics Office from the Door
My training is taking place at the Special Olympics South Africa office which is located in the fabulously posh Sandton City Mall.  I take the Gautrain Bus to work everyday.  It takes me 20-30 mins to walk (in the HOT SUN...I have adopted the South African way of carrying an umbrella to protect myself from the sun) to the bus stop.

Last week, I had the opportunity to attend a local Special Olympics athletics (track and field) event as part of my training, which was really cool.  
Athletes Racing
Wheel Chair Athletes Race 

 
Athletes Singing the South African National Anthem 


Other than that (for the moment) my lifestyle is pretty similar to my life in the states. I go out to eat a lot with my friend Kaycee (we studied abroad at HEC together) and have met up with other people I connected with before moving out here, including a former Campbells employee.      
Sunday Brunch with Kaycee and One of Her (American) Co-workers 
The Delish Veggie Burger I Enjoyed at Brunch at Odd Cafe
Me and Kayce Enjoying dinner at Rosebank Mall
View of the Rosebank Mall from the Restaurant Terrace
On Saturday, I even treated myself to brunch at a small restaurant/caterer that is next door to me.  This place really helped me the other day too. I had to walk home in the rain.  And not only did I get drenched, but a car drove by and splashed me--soaking me from head to toe (it was like something out of a movie).  I went next door though and treated myself to a cupcake to help me feel better!!!
My "It's Only Water" Cupcake!
Restaurant/Caterer, Cupcakes, that is Next to My House
My Cupcakes Brunch (French Toast, Fried Plantains, and a Fried Egg)

Hope this gives you an understanding of what my new life is like thus far.  So far it is a very atypical Peace Corps experience, but I am not complaining.  Bring on the hot water, flush toilet, microwave, and fridge!!!  A "Posh Corps" life is ok with me!  I go to post though on March 9th so I am sure to have more interesting "adventures" to share after that!

-Mei





6 comments:

  1. awesome!! looks like you are having an amazing experience! Three cheers for hot water and brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo jealous!! Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous of that pool in your backyard, lol!!!!

      Delete
  3. Amen to Posh Corps!!! We miss you Mei!!! ;) Juanny, Arnaud & Olivia

    ReplyDelete