Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Freak out Moment

Peace Corps service is characterized by emotional highs and lows. I figure if I only share with you my highs then I’m not giving you a true understanding of the experience.

So I had a freak out moment yesterday (and if ya know me can I be prone to these :0). I went out to where I will be living for a meeting. It’s a town in Africa. (It’s a TOWN in AFRICA!). After being in Jo’burg for the past two weeks (I really liked living in Africa lite), I have to mentally prepare to transition to living in a town (which by American standards really is a big village with electricity and without the mud brick houses). Plus, as we are taking a tour of the school where we will be hosting the soccer tournament (which is nestled on the side of a mountain, in the “woods”), the teacher is telling us to watch out for snakes (she has removed two from her office this year---only one of which was poisonous???) and we saw a bat on the side of a building.

All of this made me realize that I completely flipped my life upside down and started questioning why???? I was comfortable and am now completely uncomfortable. I have no clue what my future holds. I’m in a strange and foreign land. I have no car (and have to take public taxis better known in West Africa as bush taxis). I have no money. And I am completely and utterly alone (there is no corps to the Peace Corps!). I’m older now too than when I first did this, which makes me rationalize everything a bit more.

On the other side I do realize that being too comfortable, settled, and unfulfilled were my catalyst for this journey. I would sit in my cube at work numb, trying to build up the motivation to go to meetings or do my work. I felt like I lost a bit of myself every day I went to work---a glacier slowly being chiseled to an ice cube. Now, I am doing everything I wanted to do (live abroad, make a positive impact on society while doing what I love-marketing). I may not know what my future holds but I know I am walking in purpose. I spent three years being miserable in Philadelphia. I think I can spend 10-months being uncomfortable in a town in South Africa. Plus, I know this is where I am supposed to be and frequently receive confirmation of that fact!

Below is one of the songs I listen to, to give me perspective during my freak out moments.

--Mei


3 comments:

  1. You are loved sister! I'm often sending you good energy from this side of the world. I'm glad that you are able to remeber your strenght and shine in these challenging moments.

    Love you!!
    Danica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SO MUCH Danica!!!!
    Love ya too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for hanging in there! Joy

    ReplyDelete