Monday, March 19, 2012

I want to “Go With Oh” to Dublin!


“Go With Oh” is selecting one lucky blogger to tour 4 European destinations with them as a guest blogger.  I would LOVE to join them and go to Dublin!!! 

As you know I plan to start a yearlong trip around the world this winter.  However, my trip is focused on Asia, South America, and the Middle East.  Europe wasn’t part of my vision primarily because of the cost (and my limited budget). Joining “Go With Oh” on their tour of Europe would give me the opportunity to start my journey in Europe though!!!  I selected Ireland not only because I have never been there, but I also have a great appreciation for Ireland’s rich culture and beautiful landscapes.  Plus, friends that have visited have raved about Irish hospitality!

To engage with the community and learn more about the culture (two things ya know I must do during my travels), here are 5 things I would do in Dublin! 

A visit to the Kilmainham Gaol Historical Musuem is critical to understanding Ireland’s history. It unveils Ireland’s struggle for independence from English rule.  The majority of the Irish leaders involved in the rebellions of 1798, 1803, 1848, 1867 and 1916 were imprisoned.   As such, Kilmainham Gaol is considered one of the most important Irish monuments of the modern period.

As a former tap dance, Irish folk dancing has always fascinated me.  So my visit definitely has to include an evening of traditional Irish dancing and music.  Merry Ploughboy is the only pub in Ireland owned and managed by musicians. Their Live Concert is an interactive two-hour show that features highly entertaining performances of live traditional Irish music, song and dancing.  The kitchen also serves fresh Irish food. 



The Iveagh Gardens, also known as the Secret Garden, were designed by Ninian Niven in 1865.  It offers a tranquil setting to escape from the busy streets of Dublin.  Situated close to the more popular Stephens Green, the  Iveagh Gardens features a rustic grotto, cascade, fountain, maze and rose garden.

I am a Whiskey connoisseur so I absolutely have to include a visit to an Irish whiskey distillery.  The Jameson Distillery in Dublin is no longer operational and now functions as a museum that features daily tours and a 24-hour store.  The hour long guided tours cover the history of the distillery, how whiskey is made and the difference between Scotch and Irish whiskey.  The piece de resistance is the taste test at the end of the tour!!!

Last not but not least, I am not a beer drinker but feel that it’s obligatory to include a visit to the Guinness Brewery.   Plus, the tour includes an overview of how Guinness grew to become a global brand and a look at their award-winning advertising, which appeals to the marketer in me.

If you would like to enter to win a prize, be sure to like “Go With Oh” on Facebook and check out the "Competition 2012" tab where you can suggest Go With Oh's next destination.  If the city you recommend is the winner, you get to choose from 4 fantastic prizes.  

Hopefully, I will have the Luck of the Irish on my side (pun intended) and be selected as the “Go With Oh” guest blogger!!!

--Mei

1 comment: