Monday, June 18, 2012

Reality Check


My neighborhood kids and me!
My first big reality check is that it is FREEZING!!!!  It gets cold in Africa???  Anyone want to know what it feels like to live in an igloo−−feel free to come and visit.

Really though, I had a heart to heart with myself and realized how jaded and cynical I have become over my five months in South Africa.  Living in a community that I feel is indifferent to my presence and lacking initiative while teeming with apathy and entitlement has dwindled my drive. Please do not get me wrong, not everyone fits into these characteristics.  And my frustrations also don’t mean that people aren’t nice and hospitable.  This characterization stems from trying to get something done in my community, working in my community.  I spent weeks pushing, trying to make stuff happen but felt like I was trapped behind a wall of empty promises. 

Not only was I struggling trying to get my projects started.  I was also wrestling with my vision of the impact I wanted to have.   Part of my reason for joining the Peace Corps again was so I could leverage my professional experience and my MBA to help an organization and a community---two things that I didn’t have when I originally did the Peace Corps.  Only to get here and realize that my distance to the Special Olympics office would not truly allow me to do the type of marketing work that was outlined in the position description I applied to.  

I was interviewed for the Black MBA magazine right after I left my job.  The article was just released (You can check it out at: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/naylor/NBMQ0411/#/30).  I was so passionate and idealistic in the article.  I lost that person.  Reading over the article made me realize what this journey is all about.  At the end of the day I may not be doing what I wanted to do, but I am doing what needs to be done.  Like they say, get in where you fit it!  

Presenting to one of the youth clubs
Likewise, Peace Corps and Special Olympics are about to celebrate the one year anniversary of their partnership.  I was asked to write a brief description of my projects and accomplishments.  Here is what I sent them. 

I am supporting the Special Olympics South Africa (SOSA) by serving as the Marketing and Community Events Coordinator for the Africa Unity Cup (AUC). The AUC is the first Special Olympics Africa Regional Unified Football Tournament.  Hosted by the Royal Bafokeng Sports, it is a Unified 7-a-side football tournament where teams from 16 African countries will compete for a qualifying place at a FIFA endorsed Special Olympics Unified Football Cup in Brazil in 2013.  

As the Marketing and Community Events Coordinator, I have developed the regional, national, and local marketing plan and am overseeing the implementation of the local plan within the Royal Bafokeng Nation (RBN).  To drive awareness of Special Olympics and engage the local community, I have initiated and am running Special Olympics “Get Into It”  (SOGII) Youth Clubs at three High Schools.  These are the first SOGII Clubs in South Africa and will serve as the model for future clubs in South Africa and the RBN.

I am also planning the Youth Summit that will take place during the AUC and finding local talent to participate in the AUC Opening Ceremony by conducting talent shows. Supporting SOSA directly, I developed a social media strategy and relaunched the SOSA Facebook page and am in the process of assembling a social media toolkit and creating marketing collateral materials (i.e. brochures and pamphlets).  

Presenting to one of the youth clubs
Lastly, as the only Special Olympics representative residing in the RBN, I serve as the local Special Olympics spokesperson and help push AUC planning activities forward such as the creation of the Royal Bafokeng Nation team that will compete in the AUC. Also, please note, I want to further Peace Corps' involvement with the Special Olympics by recruiting volunteers for the AUC from the Peace Corps Community.  I have already spoken to a couple of volunteers about it and they are excited about the opportunity to be able to participate!

Looking at that, I am actually amazed.  I am doing a lot more than I imagined.  I WILL be able to leave saying that I did something.  That my time was worthwhile, even if I am not doing the traditional marketing that I originally imagined.  The spare time I have is not an indication of my work.  The Lord has a plan for me and it may not always dovetail with the plan I have for myself, lol.  Someone also advised me today to reeastablish my expectations based on my community's expectation.  Moving forward I plan to do just that.

With that I also realized that I will not have a lot of real friends in this community.  I have one really great friend though.  I appreciate being able to completely be myself around her and enjoy her company.  Plus, I have learned how to have a good time completely by myself. Last Friday night, I had a ball doing the “Wobble” by myself.  Oh yeah I was accompanied by a YouTube video of folks doing the Wobble as well (I may be a bit off when I get home but it will be ok).
Hanging out with some of my "co-workers"

This has all taught me that happiness is a lot simpler notion than I realized when I was living in the states.  I am continuing to learn that happiness starts with the joy and peace that we have within.  Our exterior environment should amplify our internal joy but we cannot allow it to deplete or steal our joy.

I am happy because I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.  I constantly receive confirmation that I am where I am supposed to be; this brings me peace.

I am happy because I am at peace with who I am and who I am not.

I am happy because I can smile during the storm (well learning how to :0).

I have joy because I know that I am not alone and that the Lord is always watching over and protecting me. 

I am have joy because I realize and appreciate how abundantly blessed I am.

I am happy because I am living and feel life running through my veins.

--Mei

 P.S. I promise to try to make this my last sappy, happy post!

No comments:

Post a Comment