Wednesday, January 25, 2012

MD: Freedom to be, because I choose….


Like many, I use the start of the New Year to establish specific goals of what I would like to accomplish throughout the year.  They are usually posted near my bed as a daily reminder.  In recent years, I have also developed a theme to accompany my goals (It’s like theme music, every superhero should have one, lol,—it’s a quick and easy reminder of where your focus should be!).  Last year’s theme was “Living the Joy” because I realized that: 1) happiness is fleeting because its based on external stimuli, while joy is everlasting because it is internal and 2) desiring joy isn’t enough, you have to work at having it—daily!

If ya don’t mind, I’d like to share my 2012 theme and goals with you.  

My theme, “Freedom to be,” came to me late last year.  It perfectly encompassed the journey that I am moving towards, while also embodying what prompted me to move away from the path that I was on. 
 I have been struggling, though, with establishing my goals. For the past month or so, I have been carrying around the waiter’s check pictured below. 
It reads, “the opportunity to pursue my idea of happiness without persecution or restriction.”  I received this in Brooklyn from a waiter at a cute Williamsburg brunch spot! He had a tattoo on his arm that read, “I am flawed If I’m not free.”  I asked him what freedom meant to him.  He didn’t answer right away, 
said he needed time to think.  Before I left the restaurant though he slipped me the waiter’s check with his definition of freedom written on it.  I came across it this morning and it made me realize that the S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) format that I am accustomed to using to write my goals, in it’s nature is the antithesis of being “free.”   Instead I should define what freedom is to me/how I want to manifest freedom in my life in 2012.  So my goals have morphed into something more or less resembling mantras. My 2012 theme and goals are:

The freedom to be, because I choose….

…I choose faith. I will surrender to the Lord’s will and try not to lean on my own accord.
…I choose me.  Love me. Follow my unique path.  Embrace my personal truths.  Foster my talents.
…I choose joy. Actively pursue and embody joy, by doing what brings me happiness.
…I choose financial freedom.  Live within my budget.  Develop strategies to deliver myself from the restraints of (student loan) debt and resist temptations that would permit me to incur debt.
…I choose life.  I will not survive, but thrive by living everyday to the fullest and without regret.
…I choose consciousness.  To fully breathe in and absorb every experience.  Be aware and connected to my environment and the people that come into my world for an instance or for a lifetime.  Appreciate the moments.

--Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment