Tuesday, April 17, 2012

ABCs of Travel


One of my fellow bloggers (oh yeah I write for this blog now) for “Women of Color Living Abroad”  posted her ABCs of Travel last week.  I thought it was really cute so I am doing mine as well! 

Enjoy!!!
--Mei

A: Age you went on your first international travel
The first time I got on a plane to go somewhere that required a passport, I was 21. I went to Paris, France and London, England for 2-weeks with the Fashion Merchandising Department at my University.  That trip changed my life. I returned on a quest to see the world.

B. Best foreign beer you had and where:
Yuck, I don’t drink beer!

C. Cuisine (favorite):
Italian!!!  And I had the best Italian food in Rome.  It was sinful it was so good!!!

D. Destinations, favorite, least favorite and why:
Favorite: Paris, its my first love!

Least: Mali, the heat, flies, and horrible transportation with even more horrible roads made this trip dreadful.  Plus, I got EXTREMELY sick.  I have to admit Dogon Country is beautiful though.

E. Event you experienced abroad that made you go Wow
Paragliding in the Andes, in Peru.  Running off the side of a mountain and floating15,000 feet up in the air for 30 minutes.  (Drops the mic and walks away!)

F. Favorite mode of Transportation
Zimijhan!  You haven’t lived until you have taken a motorcycle taxi in Benin.  It is one of the most thrilling and convenient forms of travel I have experienced.

G. Greatest feeling while traveling
I love mixing and mingling with strangers.  A fun random evening with random folks always brings me a bit of peace and joy.

H. Hottest place you traveled to
Niger and Mali.  It was so hot freckles were randomly just popping up on my arms and face. 

I. Incredible service you’ve experienced and where
Spa in Marrakesh, Morocco.  It was a tad bit too intimate, but I was definitely pampered.

J. Journey that took the longest
Djenne, Mali.  Via bush taxi and bus from Cotonou, Benin, it took us over a week to get there because we had to stop and get visas.  Plus, once we got to Mali we hiked through Dogon Country for three days. Overall, it took so long and we were so tired we couldn’t make it all the way to Timbuktu.

K. Keepsake from your travels
Weapons (I have everything from a Hawaiian blowdart gun to a Japanese ninja star) and traditional handmade dolls.

L. Let down site: when and where
Andorra.  There is absolutely no need to ever go to Andorra, well unless you want an old school McDonalds Apple Pie.  Strangely, Andorra is like the last place on earth to still carry the original recipe.

M. Moment where you feel in love with travel
When I visited Paris for the first time. The Seine, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the overall quaintness of the city spoke to me.  Even after living there, my heart still flutters every time I am in Paris!!!

N. Nicest hotel you stayed in
Well the coolest was The Mondrian, Los Angeles, CA (work trip)

 O. Obsession – What photos are you obsessed with taking pictures of while traveling
Street performers (video and still photos)

P. Passport stamps, how many and from where
I have no clue, but I have 2 full passports though and 2 empty ones that I am looking to fill up!!!

Q. Quirkiest Attraction you have visited and where
Pissing boy, Brussels, Belgium, Las Ramblas, Barcelona, Spain, and seeing the Harujiku girls (sorry too lazy to Google the correct spelling) hanging out in Tokyo

R. Recommended sight, event, or experience
Get off the touristy path and hang with the locals.  I promise no matter where you are they don’t bite.

S. Splurge: Something you have no problem spending money on while traveling
Food!  I always treat myself to at least 1 or 2 good meals (i.e. go to a place that requires shoes).

T. Touristy thing you’ve done
As much as I talk about tourist, I do tons of these things.  Like taking a picture with a gladiator outside of the Coliseum or eaten a Belgium waffle in Belgium.  Probably the corniest was when I paid street performers in L.A. (Santa Monica) to krump for me.  I couldn’t leave LA without seeing krumping!!!

U. Unforgettable travel memory
On the road, traveling from Andorra to France, we saw black piglets on the side of the road and decided to get out and take a picture of them.  We were in the mountains in the middle of nowhere and there was a small cottage that looked abandoned off the road.  On the small cottage door where a house number would be my name (in French-Micha), which is not very common, was written.  It freaked me out.

V. Visas: how many and where
France (student), Benin (Volunteer/Work), South Africa (Volunteer/Work); Travel Visas from (I think): Morocco, Togo (uuuhhh…I have like 8 of these because Togo requires a Visa every time you pass through, even coming and going more than 10-days has passed), Ghana, Senegal, Gambia, Niger, Mali, Burkina Faso, Nigeria (this is prettiest one), and Cote d’Ivoire

W. Wine, best glass while traveling and where
I am really enjoying South African wines.  Ironically, when I lived in France I never drank wine.  Just had an occasionally glass of Kir.

X. eXcellent Views and Where
South Africa is beautiful and has numerous excellent views including Table Mountain and Cape of Good Hope.

Y. Year’s spent traveling
(Will) Have lived 4 years of my life abroad and have been traveling internationally since 1999! 

Z. Zealous sports fans
Philadelphia Eagle Fans (an American Football team). They were in rare form (when they loss!!!) at the Jacksonville Superbowl in ______ (I don’t remember the year and again I am too lazy to google).

No comments:

Post a Comment