Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mental Sanity

Although I have been in SA for two months, I have only been at my post for a month.  The first three months, especially the first month, are the toughest periods of a volunteer’s Peace Corps service.  I am happy to report though that I emerged victorious from my “first month at post” slump.

Admittedly though, the isolation and solitude were getting to me, sitting through long meetings where I didn’t understand a single word being said was nerve racking, and the overly aggressive and flirtatious nature of men was irritating me (I ask everyone to put a little bit of money aside every month for me please.  I may go to jail for castrating a man before I leave here.  Since I know I won’t survive an SA prison I will need your help to make bail—thanks in advance!). Plus, my original expectations of what I would be doing are a bit different than my present actuality. I was feeling like an overexperienced, underutilized, and overeducated intern (I actually even was presented as an intern at a conference). 

Ironically, I calculated that I make 5% of what I use to make (if I include housing and my readjustment allowance I can get up to 10% of my former income).  My mother poignantly informed me I also only do 5% of what I use to do.  True True---but that’s the problem. I don’t regret my decision to quit my job and take a “dream break” at all though.  I sometimes though do question doing this Peace Corps thing again. I’ve had this experience and got the messed-up malaria memory to prove it.  With that said, I made a commitment.  I also realized I have spent YEARS stressing and running around doing too much.  I am going to chill out, appreciate this moment, and make an impact wherever I can.  When will I ever have an opportunity like this again?  I digress…so where was I was…oh yes I am emerging victorious….

Anywho, we all go through “slump periods,” whether or not we are strangers in a foreign land or comfortable at home.  So I figured, I would share my “getting through strategies!” 

1) Don’t Stress
I arrived at post motivated to attack my projects head on.  After sharing my one page overview of my marketing strategy and tactics with someone, he aptly gave me the advice that it’s not about when I achieve my results but how I achieve them.  He urged me to momentarily put aside my Americaness (he literally took my one pager and moved it to the side and said, “that’s nice and very American”) and take the time to absorb the culture.  By spending time observing and participating in my local community, I would have a better understanding of how to implement my projects.

w/ Platinum Stars (Football/Soccer) Supporters

RBS/NBA Middle School Girls Basketball Game 

RBS Athletics (Track) Meet
Since then, I have really chilled out.  I don’t get bothered when my meetings are postponed, canceled or I just get stood up.  I have lowered the bar on what I am trying to accomplish every week (as long as I have one productive meeting a week I am good vs. before my goal was one productive meeting a day).  I have been filling my time attending and volunteering at the sporting events of my Royal Bafokeng Sports (RBS) "co-workers."   This has allowed me to meet people in the community and see some of the surrounding villages.  I even volunteer as a "coach"with the middle and high school cheerleaders. 
RBS Handball Tournament

BTW-I have made progress on some of my projects.  I relaunched the Special Olympics Facebook page and developed their social media strategy.  I even wrote their posts for the next couple of months.  If you are interested, you can check it out at: www.facebook.com/specialolympicssouthafrica

2) Exercise
Running in my neighborhood was awkward and I was scared I was going to get bit by a dog.  So I now run around the tennis or basketball courts at the stadium.  I have never been a runner but I am finding it quite relaxing!  

3) Physically Escape
Sometimes I just need to escape from village life.  So every weekend, I go to the mall to go grocery shopping.  While I am there I also treat myself to lunch and a movie.  I also just discovered that the Royal Mareng Hotel at the Bafokeng Sports Campus (there is where VIPs/athletes stay when they use the Sports Campus facilities) is AWESOME---it looks like a “W” inside!!!  I plan to do lunch here occasionally as an escape as well (I am also trying to convince them to do like a First Friday type event, we will see how that goes).
 Lobby Lounge at Royal Mareng Hotel

Outdoor Dining Area and Patio at the Royal Mareng Hotel

Enjoying Sugar Crepes and Ice Cream
Going to see "Good Deeds" with Nthabiseng (BTW watching Tyler Perry with an int'l audience makes me cringe) 
I also have scheduled a monthly major excursion.  Last month, I went to Sun City, which is roughly 30 minutes away.  This weekend for my April trip I am going to spend the weekend with a bschool friend in the city.
Sun City
Beach at the Valley of the Waves, Sun City
Valley of the Waves After Closing and Everyone Left

4) Musically Escape
My Ipod has become my best friend.  I zone out now and listen to music as I walk around town, travel to the mall, etc. As I laughed out loud, while eating lunch by myself and listening to a Dave Chappelle skit, I realized I need to try not to zone out too much or I will be crazy (or crazier) by the time I leave here.

I also put together a “Motivation and Inspiration” play list that I listen to whenever I need a pick me up!

5) Journal
Another piece of advice from the guy that told me to be less American.  I wasn’t journaling because I figured blogging allowed me to record my experiences.  I also forgot about the therapeutic nature of journaling.

6) Record Daily Blessings
As part of my journal entries, I also include how I was blessed during the week.  I did this as well when I lived in Philadelphia to help me be less negative about my experiences there.

My Guacamole and Salsa

Easter Dinner, took me 3 days to make everything because I only have 2 pots, lol















7) Cook
I am so not the cooking person at home, but I find it relaxing (and time consuming since I do everything from scratch) here.  Plus, eating my favorite dishes makes home not seem so far away (I picked up a bad habit of purchasing “recovery shakes” at my gym after working out, so I even make protein shakes to consume after my workouts)!
Easter Dinner: Salad, Mac and Cheese, Deviled Eggs, Rice Pilaf, Baked Chicken, String Beans, and Cornbread

9) Feed my American Culture Addiction
As much as I love learning about other cultures, being immersed in another culture 24/7 makes me crave American culture.  I get my fix by Facebooking, watching movies, and reading blogs (I am particularly addicted to www.VerySmartBrothas.com and Madame Noire's Ask A Black Man web series).   

10) Further Develop My Hobbies
A Ring and 2 Sets of Earrings 
When I get bored I make jewelry.  I took some classes in Philly last year and brought the materials with me.

11) Trust in the Lord…
I think this excerpt excerpt from my devotion, “Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence,” the other night sums it up…

“Remember that I can fit everything into a pattern for good, including the things you wish were different.  Start with where you are at this point in time and space, accepting that this is where I intend you to be.  You will get through the day one step, one moment at a time.  Your main responsibility is to remain attentive to Me, letting Me guide you through the many choices along your path.

This sounds like an easy assignment, but it is not.  Your desire to live in My Presence goes against the grain of ’the world, the flesh, and the devil.’ Much of your weariness results from your constant battle against these opponents.  However, you are on the path of My choosing, so do not give up!”

--Mei

BTW-To all my PCRVs, PCVs, RPCVs and future PCVs...yes I know my experience isn't very "Peace Corpsie."  I do feel truly blessed.  I also truly believe, the Lord will never put more on you than you can bear.  And I am not one of those people that joined Peace Corps to experience poverty or "roughing it." At the end of the day, we are all here to serve and living conditions don't change that.  Plus, as a PCV here told me, I already paid my dues!!!

2 comments:

  1. You've got some great insight here! Kudos to you for sticking with it! I admire you! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy. I still have 7 months left though :0). I will try to maintain this perspective for the duration of my service. Lorena and I meeting up and going to a PCV conference in Durban in two weeks so that should help!!! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete