Friday, August 24, 2012

Capetown in Photos

Went to Capetown with my friend Olivia that visited from the States.  Actually went on a plane an everything.  I already visited so this trip I didn't go to most of the typical tourist haunts.  I did go on an absolutely awesome wine tour, enjoy great food, and see a myriad of animals.  Figured I would share my trip with you through pics.  Apologize for the large number of pics in one post but posting all my photos while I have access to free internet!!!

Enjoy
-Mei

View of Table Mountain from our Backpackers


Shop on Long Street's Gate

 

Streetwires is a really cool organization that sells beaded products (like this soccer player) and employs, trains, and houses people living on the street

I took a class at Streetwire to learn how to make beaded products

This is how they get the beads on the wire.  


Some of the workers

I made three key chains

Posing with my teacher and classmate (check out the beaded lion in the corner)




Bo Kaap

The Waterfront

Went on a Wine Tour.  This is the tasting room at the first vineyard.   Fancy right!

We tasted several champagnes at this eco-friendly vineyard.

We went into the cellar

And even got to watch the bottling (felt very familiar!)

At the Vineyard, just thought this was pretty cool

A high heel and crown made out of the wire capping on the Champagne bottles

View from the second vineyard

Rainbow

Lots of artwork at this vineyard


Had to get a pic of this steam punk clock for my brother

The tasting room and lobby of Takara Vineyard.  The fire was much needed and welcomed!


View from the tasting room


We not only tasted wine here, but also...

...cognac (I actually could't finish mine), and...

Olive Oil

Wine country...from the car
Had lunch at our third vineyard.  The restaurant was build over the original cellar.

Had a local Capetown dish for lunch that was made from eggs, mince meat and curry.   Gave me a real tste of the Malay influence.


Another rainbow!

At the fourth vineyard, we got too taste cheeses (including goat cheese) as well

I learned that goat cheese tastes the way goats smell!

Steampunk motorcycle made from scraps found on the farm.

Tried some game at a restaurant called Arnold's.  This is Ostrich fillet, crocodile ribs, grilled warthog ribs, and gemsbok wellington.  It was all quite delish.  

This is something related to bambi that my friend had.

Hout Bay


Cape Fur Seals

A local fisherman feeding the seals.

A fishy kiss...YUCK

Think this is still Hout Bay


Go figure you can see lions, elephants, and penguins all in the same country.

Arent't they cute!

At Cape Point or Cape of Good Hope, we rode bikes to lunch.  (I won't lie.  I only went half way and got a ride the rest of the way.  I have never been a fan of riding a bike)

Our lunchtime view
 
The Alpha male (taken from the safety of the bus)


Ostrich




Views from the Cape
 


Olivia and I with our new tour group friends



1 comment: