Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sometimes You Have to Encourage Yourself!!!

I danced in my kitchen this afternoon as I prepared a simple whole wheat pancakes and sausage brunch.  I have written a lot recently about the joy and peace of mind I have found externally during different moments in SA.  I have also written about some of the techniques I have used to pick up my spirits when I felt overwhelmed and alone here (i.e. those why the F@$* am I here moments).  I was reminded during my friends visit how hard it can be to maintain inner joy, calm and peace of mind in the stressful, chaotic order, overstimulation, and focus on futility that CAN be part of life in the States. Don’t take that the wrong way.  I LOVE the States and am really, really, really looking forward to going back to my life after I finish this journey.  However, there are a lot of elements of living a simpler life that I have appreciated during both of my Peace Corps services and I know I will miss once I return to the East Coast rat race (if that is where I end up).   I also know that although I am ready to leave here, I am not quite ready to go back to the U.S. yet (I think I have a bit more to learn and also need more time for the lessons that I have learned to become ingrained.)

With that said this post is a reminder to myself of why I embarked on this journey, what I learned on this journey, and what I hope will continue to be a part of my spirit and character from this experience—ya know for me to have when this is all just a distant memory captured in pictures (like putting something in a time capsule).  It is also is for my friends and families that are experiencing their own challenges on their unique journeys. Here are some motivational words from songs in my “And This Too Shall Pass” playlist.  These songs really speak to my spirit, capture what I feel that allows me to smile despite __________ (fill in the blank---pretty much everything) and dance with joy while making pancakes!!!

Ledisi, “Alright”
“Life can bring us through many changes, it’s alright.  Just don’t give up.  Know that it’s gonna be alright.  People come and they go.  That’s just the way that it goes.  Everything is everything.  It’s alright.”

“In the morning when I see the sun, I know I am not the only one.”

Kelly Clarkson, "Breakaway"
“I’ll spread my wings and I’ll learn how to fly.  I’ll do what it takes, till I touch the sky. Make a wish, take a chance, make a change, and breakaway.  Out of the darkness and into the sun.  But I won’t forget all the ones that I love. I gotta take a risk, take a chance, make a change, and breakaway.” 

“Wanna feel the warm breeze.  Sleep under a palm tree.  Feel the rush of the ocean.  Get onboard a fast train.  Travel on a jet plane, far away.  And breakaway.”

“Buildings with a 100 floors, swinging round revolving doors.  Maybe I don’t know where they’ll take me.  But I gotta keep moving, moving, fly away, breakaway.”

Byron Cage, “I Will Bless the Lord”
“When I am lost and all alone. Feeling like my strength is gone. With no friends to call my own. And no one to call on the phone. I will lift my hands. And call his precious name. Cause he has always been there.  And promised he would never change…He changed my walk.  He changed my talk.  Changed my mind.  Saved my life.  Can’t nobody.  Do my like Jesus.  Can’t nobody love me like the Lord can. He brought me out, to take me in.  He knows what’s best for me.  What’s best for me in the end.  I thought about something else.  How he loved me when I didn’t love myself.  When I felt like throwing in the towel.  He made a way for me somehow.  I’m standing here today only because of his grace.  His love has filled the space that once was an empty place…He has done great things for me, so I will bless the Lord.”

Kirk Franklin, “Lookin’ Out For Me”
“Every time I look back. And every time I think back on all the stuff I been through, I prayed through, I cried through and then I tried you.  And just when I was about to fall, your love called me, when your name I called.  Jesus, you keep on lookin’ out for me…And just when you thought the night would never end, the sun came out now you can smile again.”

Isreal Kamakawiwo’ole, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
“Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, and the dreams that you dream of once in a lullaby.  Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly.  And the dreams that you dream of, dreams really do come true.  Someday I’ll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.  Where trouble melts like lemon drops.  High above the chimney tops.  That’s where you’ll find me.  Somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly.  And the dreams that you dare to…Why oh why can’t I.”

India.Arie, “There’s Hope”
“Back when I had a little, I thought that I needed a lot.  A little was overrated, but a lot was a little too complicated…That’s when I learned the lesson, that it’s all about your perceptions.  Are you a pauper or a super star? So you act, so you feel, so you you are.  It ain’t about the size of your car, it's about the size of the faith in your heart.  There’s hope.  It doesn’t cost a thing to smile.  You don’t have to pay to laugh.  You better thank God for that.”

“Paradise is in your heart.”

“Every time I turn on the TV.  Somebody is acting crazy.  If you let it in it will drive you crazy. But I am taking back my power today.  Gas prices they just keep on rising.  The government they keep on lying.  We gotta keep on surviving.  Keep living our truth and do the best we can do.”


Jack Johnson, “Upside Down”
“Who’s to say, what’s impossible? Well they forgot, this world keeps spinning. And with each new day, I can feel a change in everything.  As the surface breaks. Reflections fade, but in some ways they remain the same. As my mind begins to spread it wings, there is no stopping curiosity.  I want to turn the whole thing upside down. I’ll find the things they say just can’t be found.   I’ll share this love I find with everyone.  We’ll sing and dance to Mother Nature’s songs.  I don’t want this feeling to go away.  This world keeps spinning and there is no time to waste.”


Cheers!
--Mei

4 comments:

  1. ahhhhh you just made me wana listen to some India Arie....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Meisha...i just want to thank you for making me cry. Lol! Lately I have put so many limits on myself and become so lazy! It's been terrible. I have let fear fill so many areas of my life. BUT I have made the first and second step to help me out of this horrible phase of depression! I am officially a grad student... again. Lol! And I have decided to continue writing and even spoke with a publishing company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you returned the favor because you just made me SMILE!!!! That's awesome. I am so glad to hear, congrats!!! The first step is the hardest. After that each one gets a bit easier!!!!

    ReplyDelete