Friday, August 17, 2012

Living a Posh Corps Life


So I have been interacting with Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs)and Peace Corps a lot lately.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am participating in some events to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Special Olympics-Peace Corps partnership.  Some PCVs also came out to visit and attend a game and I vacationed with some PCVs. All of this has made me realize how much of a fake me out PCV I am.  And as volunteers like to say it I am a Peace Corps Princess or a Posh Corps Volunteer.  Ok I will own it now.  I read another SA volunteer’s blog and she was talking about her bucket shower water having a sheet of ice on top of it.  AISH!!! 

Here are a couple of ways that I have been blessed that also make me part of the elicit Posh Corps.
  • I live in a B&B.
  • I have access to kitchen appliances including a microwave and electric stove.
  • I take my clothes weekly to a laundry service to be machine washed, dried and ironed.
  • I have a wardrobe that consists of professional, workout, going out, weekend, and lounging clothes.
  • I not only have indoor plumbing, but a hot water shower.
  • I have a TV.  No cable or satellite TV, but I have 4 stations and get American TV shows and movies.
  • Someone cleans my room weekly.  (I actually find this a bit aggravating cause she moves everything unnecessarily so after she has come it’s a hunt to find anything).
  • There is a grocery store and a couple of restaurant options in my town (including the chain restaurant Chicken Licken).
  • I can get to a mall, McDonalds, KFC, and a movie theater with a 15 min taxi ride.  So on weekends when I am bored and need a mental vacation day I go to the movies and treat myself to a good meal.
  • Most of the people I “work” with not only have a car, but a high end car.
  • I go to professional soccer games to network with my coworkers and the who’s who in my town.
Not to say that all PCVs are living in mud huts in the middle of nowhere, but in general my experience my Peace Corps Response Volunteer experience is an abnormal PCV experience.  I am not complaining though.  Strange these things are considered luxuries right??!!

BTW-I actually wrote this post a while ago, but figured I would still post.  Thought you would get a good laugh at my luxuriously non-luxurious life.

If you would like to read about more traditional Peace Corps experiences, check out one of the blogs below:


A tout a l’heure
-Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment