Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Happy 94th Birthday Madiba


Learning sign language
Today is Nelson Mandela’s 94th Birthday.  Everyone was asked to celebrate his birthday by spending 67 minutes (I have no clue why 67???) helping someone.  In honor of Mandela’s birthday, I took 25 learners from my youth club at Thethe High School (a mainstream school) to a Kultwaneg (a special school).  As I mentioned in an earlier post, Kultwaneg is a boarding school for deaf and intellectually disabled learners from preschool to high school (for your reference in photos the Thethe learners are in grey uniforms and the Kultwaneg learners are in blue and gold uniforms).






















When we arrived at Kultwaneg, the learners surrounded the Thethe learners and stared at them.  I could tell the Thethe students were nervous.  Although, we have had great conversations about acceptance, inclusion, and tolerance, this was now the real world.  One learner actually told me she was traumatized and asked were the kids violent and would she be safe.

We started the activity by teaching the Thethe learners the alphabet, hello, bye, and thank you in sign language.  I then took all of the learners through a series of Mandela quotes.  The learners were then asked to share a motivational word inspired by the quote.  Next, in pairs the learners painted the motivational words on rocks and on a curb to decorate the school.

The awesome part of the activity was that I could see the Thethe and Kultwaneg learners forming friendships as the day went on.  They relaxed and really enjoyed themselves.  At the culmination of the activity, about 8 of us had to wait around at Kultwaneg as the taxi dropped off the first group of Thethe learners.  I was so touched to see the kids talking and playing together.  Some of the Kultwaneg learners took us on a short tour of the school.  We saw a garden that had been started and the Thethe learners volunteered to work on it the next time we came.  And in the taxi on the way home, the Thethe learners were practicing sign language and asking when we were coming back.  I have to admit I shed a couple of tears as I listened to the kids chatter on about the days activities (well they were speaking in Tswana but pretty sure that’s what they were talking about).  I was so proud of them.  They opened up and truly were accepting of the Kultwaneg learners.  The girl who was initially traumatized even made really good friends with one of the intellectually disabled learners.  So much so that he wanted to fight another Kultwaneg learner because he talked to her.  ROTFL.
I know I keep saying this but when I look back over my life today will be one of those moments I will remember (I am becoming  such a sap).  I was so humbled and in awe of how it all transpired.

One of the learners that was initially scared and her new friend
So you can share in the fun we had, below are the Mandela quotes we used in today’s activity. 

“If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness.”

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

 “After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”

“It is not where you start, but how high you aim that matters for success.”

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.”



“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”


“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

“One of the things I learned when I was negotiating was that until I changed myself, I could not change others.”

“There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”


--Mei



No comments:

Post a Comment