Saturday, July 7, 2012

"I am an African"


Last week I attended the Grahamstown Art Festival, the second largest art festival in the world.  Post coming soon on this AWESOME AWESOME festival!!!  Quickly though my spirit was so fed and alive attending everything from comedy shows to spoken word performances.  My favorite show/performance was "I am an African" performed by Kmad.com, a proudly South African contemporary dance company.  Their afro jazz performance reminded me of The Dance Theater of Harlem.  Below is the poem that accompanied and narrated their movements.  It only gives a small taste of the performance, but I thought the words were thought provoking enough on their own that I should share them.  Enjoy!

---Mei

I am an African

I am an African, not because I was born here, but because my heart beats with Africa.

I am an African because she is the cradle of our birth.

When Africa celebrates her triumphs my feet are alive with dancing.

I am an African, not because I live on its soil but because my soul is at home in Africa.

I am an African, for her wildness quenches my spirit and brings me closer to the source of life.

I am an African, not because my skin is black but because my mind is engaged by Africa.

When the music of Africa beats in the wind my blood pulses to its rhythm and I become the essence of music.

When the colors of Africa dazzle in the sun, my senses drink in its rainbow and I become the palette of nature.

-Wayne Visser

You can view the full poem at: http://www.waynevisser.com/poetry/i-am-an-african-2

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meisha

    Thanks for posting an extract from my poem, I Am An African. The full version is available on my website: http://www.waynevisser.com/poetry/i-am-an-african-2.

    I am really curious about the show, and pleased to hear it was a success.

    All the best
    Wayne Visser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much Wanye for providing the full poem. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, the poem is now part of a collection called "I Am An African" and another photography book called "African Dream". More info on my website under Books if you're interested

    ReplyDelete