Monday, July 16, 2012

A Quick Laugh from SA

Both of the items below were given to me.  I find both hilariously funny (although I feel like I shouldn't).

First, is an advertisement for a traditional doctor I received at the taxi rank.  Advertisements for traditional medicines, along with safe abortions, penis enlargements, and safe circumcisions, can be found posted up everywhere.  I think I may start an import/export business!  I am sure there are some folks in the States that need to be cured from some of the ills these herbs heal. :0)  BTW-Although, many do believe in traditional healing, to my understanding the folks handing out flyers aren't as respected or are seen as crooks.




Second, is a CV that I believe is being emailed around (and is real).  I went to get a transportation quote from a bus company and the guy helping me gave me the letter to read while I was waiting.  You have no idea how relieved I was to find out he gave it to me to as a joke (he actually voluntarily gave me a copy to keep) and wasn't trying to get me to hire some random family member.  Although, the letter is funny it does illustrate a bit of SA's current woes: horrible public education system and unemployed youth--which go hand-in-hand.  Also, speaks a bit to the "hater" (real and unreal) and "crabs in a barrel" mentality I have also seen.



Cheers,
--Mei

No comments:

Post a Comment