Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Milestone Moment


Yes, I know, less than two posts ago I wrote about having one of those quintessential Peace Corps moments that makes you realize this is what it is all about.  BBBBBUUUTTTTTT….I have now had a moment or experience that I am sure I will look back at years from now and realize was a pivotal moment. 

Yesterday, Peace Corps and Special Olympics celebrated the one-year anniversary of their partnership.  For those of you that might not know, a member of the Kennedy family started both organizations--Special Olympics by Eunice Kennedy Shriver and Peace Corps by John F.  Kennedy.  Sargent Shriver, Eunice Kennedy Shriver’s husband, also built Peace Corps while serving as its first Director.  It’s actually amazing that this partnership didn’t come into fruition earlier. 

The celebratory event at Peace Corps headquarters included remarks by Peace Corps Director Aaron Williams and Special Olympics CEO Tim Shriver, ANDDDDD featured video presentations from a fellow Peace Corps Response Volunteer in Panama and me!!!!!  We participated, along with our Special Olympics counterparts, by webconference. Our videos were followed by questions by Director Williams and Dr. Shriver.  Pretty cool right!!!  Peace Corps Volunteers barely have contact with the Peace Corps staff in their country of service so interacting with the Director is a rare opportunity.

Since the event was held in DC, my mother was able to attend.  The Director of Special Olympics Africa even made sure that she was recognized and she got some good photo opps too, lol.

I can’t pinpoint exactly why I feel this was such a pivotal event in my life.  Maybe it was just my five minutes of Peace Corps fame and nothing more.  I guess only time will tell.   Nonetheless it was a hella cool experience that I am sure will be followed by more as I finish up the last 3 months of my service.

Also, I got a bit nervous and didn't share what I have learned thus far from working with Special Olympics, in particular from working with the athletes.  So I'll share with y'all. 

Admittedly, I had limited experiences with people with intellectual disabilities before working with Special Olympics.  Working with the athletes and the SO Get Into It Youth Clubs has forced me to face my own biases and misperceptions.  I quickly realized from my first interactions with the athletes that I underestimated their abilities--something that I will never do again.  As I have gotten to know some of the athletes and learned their stories I have been inspired by their determination and courage.  From them I have learned (or been reminded of) three valuable lessons:
  1. Don't ever be defined by someone else's perceptions of you.
  2. There is no obstacle that the human spirit cannot overcome.
  3. (This is near and dear to my heart) Never be afraid to dream the impossible dream!

Once I get permission, I will also share the videos with ya.

Cheers

--Mei

2 comments:

  1. We're so proud of you, ma géante! You seem to be growing more and more each day. And we're so excited for you to begin your adventure around the world very soon, and experience Le Monde and everything it's got to offer. May God bless you always, and we'll be keeping you in our prayers :) Bon courage, we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!!! Love y'all!!!! Muah!

    ReplyDelete